The Real Deal – Top 10 NYC retail leases in January – Net Cost Market, Brooklyn #1
Clockwise from left: 505 Eighth Avenue, 128 West 34th Street, & 3100 Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn
The REAL DEAL – By Ashley McHugh-Chiappone/February 16, 2018
January’s 10 biggest retail leasing deals were much smaller than December’s in terms of square footage.
The 10 biggest retail lease deals signed last month totaled 95,000 square feet, down about 84,000 square feet from last month’s total of 179,000 square feet. The largest retail lease in January was inked in deep Brooklyn. Here’s the full list:
1) Net Cost Market, , Sheepshead Bay – 35,000 square feet
2) Tailor’s Inn, , Midtown – 12,700 square feet
The Irish restaurant and bar concept inked a lease for 12,700 square feet at 505 Eighth Avenue. Allen Gurevich of GFP Real Estate represented the landlord in-house.
3) Absolute New York, 128 West 34th Street, Midtown South – 10,000 square feet
The cosmetics company signed a lease for 10,000 square feet of retail space at 128 West 34th Street, to be used as the company’s flagship retail location. Lee Block and Spencer Bowers of Winick Realty Group represented the tenant, while Marc Leber and Jeffrey Roseman of Newmark Knight Frank represented the landlord, Stahl Organization.
4) Chase Bank, 180 Bedford Avenue, Williamsburg – 8,000 square feet
The bank inked a lease for 8,000 square feet of retail space at 180 Bedford Avenue in hipster village. Thor Equities is the landlord of the building.
5) Church Street School for Music and Art, 41 White Street, Tribeca – 8,000 square feet
The nonprofit music and arts school signed a 15-year lease for 8,000 square feet at 41 White Street. Peter Braus of Lee & Associates NYC represented the tenant, while Andrew Stern of RKF represented the landlord, Benchmark Real Estate Group.
6) Cafe Metro, 240-246 West 35th Street, Midtown – 5,181 square feet
The fast-casual restaurant chain inked a 12-year lease for 5,181 square feet of retail space at 240-246 West 35th Street. Stu Morden and Lucas Kooyman of Newmark Knight Frank represented the tenant, while John Cinosky of ATCO Brokerage Services represented the landlord, ATCO Properties & Management.
7) Kinder Prep Childcare, 49 Broadway, Williamsburg – 4,952 square feet
The daycare signed a 20-year lease for 4,952 square feet of retail space at 49 Broadway. The asking rent was $60 per square foot. Keat Chew, Harrison Balisky and Aaron Lee of EXR represented the landlord, Broadway Prop, as well as the tenant.
8) PINK by Victoria Secret, 429 Broadway, Soho – 4,415 square feet
The apparel chain inked a pop-up lease for 4,415 square feet of retail space at 429 Broadway. Lee Block of Winick Realty Group represented both the tenant and the landlord, A.J.D. Building.
9) Nirvanna Designs, 1701 Broadway, Midtown – 3,400 square feet
The hats and accessories store signed a for 3,400 square feet of retail space at 1701 Broadway. Patty Holmstrom of Winick Realty Group represented the tenant and the landlord, Britannia 54th Holdings.
10) Anani Group, 918 Seneca Avenue, Ridgewood – 3,000 square feet
The coffee shop inked a 5-year lease for 3,000 square feet of retail space at 918 Seneca Avenue. Josh Augenbaum of Augenbaum Realty represented the tenant and the landlord, MLM Partners.